Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sichuan Earthquake Survivors Coping With Tragedy As New Earthquakes Strikes Region






Students from the quake hit Pingwu County, Sichuan Province visit the "Clever Spring" at Donglin Temple of Lushan Mountain in Jiujiang, Jiangxi Province. 45 students studying at Chenguang Middle School of Jiuiang took part in an extended summer camps from August 25-29 Xinhua Photos

Girls playing in a classroom during a break at a school for Migrant Workers, one out of every six children are left behind in villages by parents who are forced to move elsewhere to find work.

Twenty five people perished when a 6.1 quake struck Southwest China today, as of 9:00 pm Beijing time, 17 people were reported dead in Sichuan Province and another 100 were injured.

Still recovering from the catastrophic May 12 Sichuan Earthquake, 12 year old Chen Feng, underwent her second skin transplant on her face. Premier Wen Jiabao, has given the child a morale boost in response to her letter to him.

Chen wrote to Premier Wen just prior to her second operation, telling him, "...the big earthquake destroyed my home. My family that loved me so much are gone forever. Now I am a lonely bird in the mountain...Grandpa Wen, I'm going to receive another surgery soon and I'm still scared, I know you are busy but could you take some time to write me back...."

Doctors say her second surgery went well but she may need a third operation depending on how well she recovers during the next 6 months.

More here from China.org